About the job
There is a temporary position available at the Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management (IØT) as a postdoctoral fellow for a period of 2 years. The position is resident at the NTNU campus in Trondheim, Norway.
The position is related to the Management Economics, Finance and Operations Research Group of the Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management and the Faculty of Economics and Management will be your employer.
The position will report to the Head of Department.
The Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management is organized into six sections:
- Research in Managerial, Financial and Operational Economics (BEDØK)
- Safety, Health and Environment (SSE)
- Operations Management (VIL)
- Strategy and business development (Stratforr)
- Teamwork Experts (Section for EiT)
- Economics and Management (located in Gjøvik)
For more information about the department, see our website www.ntnu.edu/iot.
About the job
The position is related to the “RICO – Robust Intelligent Control” project, funded by the Research Council of Norway and in collaboration between NTNU, SINTEF, TrønderEnergi A/S, SolutionSeeker A/S and Ohmia Charging. RICO’s ambition is to develop new methods to improve the robustness of intelligent control systems and predictive models. The candidate will work on the combination of optimization and machine learning for robust hybrid control. The combination has proven to be very powerful in all different applications, but there are still fundamental methodological questions that remain unresolved. Many of these relate to uncertainty and the transition from controllable and predictable test environments to industrial environments where the environment is not completely known or controllable and where information may be scarce, uncertain and of bad quality. Understanding this transition and its challenges provides insight that can be used to develop new methods where the strengths of optimization and machine learning are combined; this is the goal of RICO. RICO will examine a variety of use cases, and the work developed by the postdoctoral candidate will be tested in these areas:
- Process industry
- Hydro-optimization for green energy production
- Develop methods to train neural networks to become surrogate models in mathematical programming models
- Improve solution methods for MILPs containing ReLU arrays
- Advance understanding of uncertainty
- Interact and collaborate with the RICO team, including PhD students, post-docs, permanent staff and end users
- Presentation of results at national and international level
- Publication in international journals
- Completion of a Norwegian doctorate in operations research or mathematical programming with an emphasis on integer linear programming, or a corresponding foreign doctorate recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctorate
- Solid background in machine learning, especially related to artificial neural networks
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English
- Good programming skills
- Scientific articles published in the field of this position
Candidates at the end of their doctorate can also apply.
Preferred Selection Criteria
- A desire to produce high-quality work that is publishable in high profile venues, and an already established publication record in said venues
- Experience in theoretical and applied work
- Excellent communication skills with technical and administrative staff
- Experience in combining mathematical programming and artificial neural networks
- Advanced knowledge of reinforcement learning and statistics
- Knowledge of oil production and/or hydroelectric production
- Strongly motivated to advance the current state of knowledge on the subject of this position
- Team player, but also able to work independently
- Open to interacting in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
- Good communication skills
In evaluating the most qualified candidate, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal qualities, as well as motivation, based on the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement.
- exciting and challenging tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favorable conditions in the Norwegian civil service pension fund
- social advantages
- Attractive Norwegian social protection scheme including family benefits, home loans, insurance and pensions under the Norwegian Civil Service Pension Fund
Information about working and living in Norway can be found at the following link: http://www.nyinorge.no/en/Ny-i-Norge-velg-sprak/New-in-Norway/
Salary and conditions
Postdoctoral fellows are remunerated within code 1352, currently at NOK 563,500 gross, – before tax per year. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian civil service pension fund.
The term of employment is 2 years.
The appointment must be made in accordance with applicable regulations regarding government employees and officials and national guidelines for appointment as doctor, post-doctoral fellow and research assistant and export control laws of strategic goods, services and technologies. Applicants who, after evaluation of the application and attachment, are found to conflict with the criteria of the latter Act will be barred from recruitment at NTNU.
After the appointment, you should assume that there may be changes in the working area.
NTNU is committed to following criteria for research quality assessment in accordance with the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA.
Any legal leave will be added to the period of employment.
The position is externally funded.
This is a prerequisite for being present and accessible to the establishment on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documents to be used as the basis for assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only assessed against the information available at the application deadline. You should ensure that your application clearly indicates how your skills and experience meet the criteria set out above.
If for any reason you have interrupted your career or have had an atypical career and wish to reflect this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the amount of your research may be reduced.
The request must include:
- Cover letter (clearly stating how the candidate meets the qualification requirements)
- A CV with information on education, previous research experience, as well as authorized documentation of certificates and study records.
- A complete list of publications
- Academic work – published or unpublished – that you would like to see considered in the assessment (select up to 5 items)
- Name and address of three references
If all or part of your training was completed abroad, we also ask that you attach documentation on the extent and quality of your overall training. The description of the required documentation can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach it as well.
Joint work will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint work, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
Working at NTNU
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified applicants to apply, regardless of gender, functional ability or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is Norway’s innovation capital with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including health care, schools, kindergartens and general equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Subsidized professional day care for children is easily accessible. Additionally, Trondheim offers great education opportunities (including international schools) and opportunities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has a low crime rate and clean air. own.
As an employee of NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development of the subject implies and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, function and municipality may be made public even if you have requested that your name not be included in the list of candidates.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Henrik Andersson, email [email protected]
If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources Consultant Hilde Selli Egelie, email: [email protected]
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. The Diploma Supplement must be attached for European Master’s degrees outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of master’s degree from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
Application deadline: 07.10.2022
NTNU – knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management
We carry out research and teaching activities at the international level at the interface between technology/natural sciences and economics, management and HSE (health, safety and environment). Our goal is the sustainable creation of value in the technological fields of industry, business and the public sector in Norway. We have university groups in Trondheim and Gjøvik. The Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management is one of the four departments of the Faculty of Economics and Management.
Deadline October 7, 2022
Employer NTNU – Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Scope Full time
place of service